floral background

Friday, May 27, 2011

FFwD Cardamon Rice Pilaf and Egg and Asparagus Salad





The caradmon rice pilaf made my whole house smell delicious! Dorie said you could cook this rice with chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water. I chose to use a 14.5 ounce Swanson's chicken broth can, and then added 1.5 ounces of water. I'm sure this rice will show up again on my table. The only part I didn't like was the texture of biting into a cardamon seed. I used caradamon seeds, already out of pod, instead of peeling them out of the pods myself. I'm not sure if that made these harder or not, but I thought the seeds were hard to bite into.



I had the egg, asparagus, and bacon salad ready for last Friday, but was so busy working at college graduation activities, I forgot to post! I made the salad without the eggs. I don't like the taste of egg yolks, so an egg with a runny yolk was not appealing. So I made the salad using just bacon and asparagus. It was delicious, and a beautiful spring salad!


All this week, my heart has gone out to the people of Joplin, Mo as they've faced the aftermath of the devastating tornado. It has been a week of severe weather here in the Midwest. For those of you who like weather photos, I thought I'd post a few shots of our hail in St. Louis on 5/25/11.

A dollar bill gives perspective on the size.




Check out the rest of the bloggers at frenchfridayswithdorie.com. Happy Memorial Day weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Yikes on your hail! We had bad weather to the north and south of us...think 12 tornadoes confirmed on Wednesday. I agree about the icky egg yolks...good call :) And I enjoyed the rice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...that hail. Some people can't understand how I can endure the heat here in the Phoenix Valley, however, I have "climatized" and now can't handle cold...and your hail confirms that I love the AZ heat! Lots of bad weather and conditions in so many places...very hard. Your pilaf is lovely, but I'll take that asparagus...looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hail size is insane. I saw a post with hail the length of bread loaves but twice the width. Your dishes look tasty! And you didn't miss much with no runny egg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, you had hail half the size of a dollar bill?! Isn't it supposed to be near summer already? Good thing your herbs survived. Lovely rice and asparagus dishes...I just did my egg hard-boiled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pictures. That hail is unbelievable. Something that size does lots
    of damage. Your rice looks wonderful as well as the salad. Tricia and I
    both enjoyed the recipe and will certainly use it again. The broth gives
    it such a nice flavor, plus sauteed onions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't get past the hail - that is tough.
    Everything looks great - and you didn't miss anything by losing the egg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The salad looks great, even eggless. I can't believe the size of the hail. Sorry about what it did to your plants. I hope they can recover. Here's to saner weather soon!

    ReplyDelete