floral background

Friday, November 12, 2010

A new way of thinking about eating out


Mr. Hobby and I have a few financial weaknesses, one of them being our love of eating out. It is truly wonderful - each person gets what they want, and nobody has to do dishes afterwards. (I realize that someone does have to do the dishes, but since I can't see the dishwashers in the back of the kitchen, I'll pretend nobody does the dishes.) Anyway, last weekend something completely out of the ordinary happened. It was Friday night, and Mr. Hobby and I got home around the same time, after both having worked over an hour late, and we decided that we preferred to stay in rather than go out. So we went to the grocery store, and we picked out fancy pasta, and shrimp, and made a lovely dinner together. We ended up spending the entire weekend without eating out. On Saturday, we went over to friend's house, and they served amazing butternut squash ravioli, and I brought homemade oreos. On Sunday, I was in the kitchen for four hours. But at the end of that time, I had delicious roasted root vegetables with apple glazed pork loin for us to enjoy for dinner, with enough leftovers for us each to have lunch the next day (though Mr. Hobby forgot his on Monday!) I'd also made 2 loaves of pumpkin bread, and I'd prepped a meatloaf. We made the meatloaf on Wednesday, all we had to do was pop it in the oven - no prep.
We realized that on the weekends, we have time to enjoy making meals, so that is when we should make them. Plus, on Sundays I have time to prep food for the week. It is a new way of thinking about food, and fueling our family through our tired and busy times. So tonight, when we once again left work over an hour late, we came home a repeated our new "routine". We had leftover meatloaf (cooked on Wednesday, so still good) and I made a quick pasta using boxed pasta and a sauce recipe from King Arthur Flour. The sauce was called sage butter, and the recipe includes recipe for homemade pasta as well. The sage butter turned out ok. But mainly, I made it because I was looking for a way to use up the fresh sage leftover from making roasted root vegetables, and this was an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment