floral background

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Travel Tuesdays



One of my favorite hobbies is traveling, and I haven't really included that in the blog yet. To find a way to better incorporate my travel experiences, I decided to start Travel Tuesdays. Every Tuesday I'll post one of my travel photos, and include some information about the photo/place.

Since this is the first post, I thought I'd mention two photos today. My post header is of the beach of Isla Mujeres, an island off the coast of Cancun, Mexico. I snapped this photo across the street of our hotel one morning, and I'm always amazed that I've been somewhere this beachy and beautiful -it always reminds me of a calendar photo. We got to Isla by taking a ferry from a port just outside of Cancun. While our trip didn't include any stops in Cancun, my understanding is that some Cancun tourists, looking for a more authentic experience, will take a day trip to Isla Mujeres.



Today's Travel Tuesday photo is also from Isla Mujeres. We visited Isla in June of 2009, weeks after the media-driven panic over Mexican Swine Flu broke out. We were going to the Yucatan Peninsula for a wedding, but we'd planned a roadtrip around the area before the wedding. I had spend months planning this trip, and then swine flu risked ruining everything. Flights were cancelled, some employers were saying if you went to Mexico you wouldn't be allowed to return to work, really wild things. Things had calmed down some by the time we went on our trip, but it was definitely still on people's mind, and there were very few tourists because of the concern. Isla is a small island (4.3 miles long, and 2,130 feet wide), and it is popular to rent a golf cart and drive around the island, visiting snorkel spots and Mayan ruins. There is one main road that runs around the island. Along that road was a big wall with the phrase Isla Mujeres mpio. libre de influenza painted on it in blue. There is no flu on Isla Mujeres.

No comments:

Post a Comment